Alibaba Announces Reorganization & Leadership Changes
Alibaba, a global technology and e-commerce company that helps U.S. businesses reach more than one billion consumers in China and other global markets, has announced a restructuring plan where it will be divided into six distinct business groups. This will empower each of the businesses to better serve their respective customer sets with greater focus.
Each unit will be able to operate autonomously with its own leadership and Board of Directors. In addition, Alibaba recently announced a 100% spin-off of its cloud business, which is scheduled to be completed within the next 12 months. The six business groups will be:
- Global Digital Commerce Group
- Taobao Tmall Commerce Group
- Cloud Intelligence Group
- Digital Media and Entertainment Group
- Local Services Group
- Cainiao Smart Logistics
In addition to the reorganization, Alibaba Group, the holding company for the current set of business units, announced key leadership changes:
- Daniel Zhang, current Alibaba Group Chairman and CEO, will transition to CEO of the new Cloud Intelligence Group. Daniel will be departing Alibaba with Cloud Intelligence Group once the spin-off is completed.
- Eddie Yongming Wu, current Chairman of Taobao and Tmall Group, will succeed Daniel as CEO of Alibaba Group.
- Joe Tsai, current Executive Vice Chairman, will become Alibaba Group Chairman.
- Michael Evans will remain as Alibaba Group President and a member of the Alibaba Group Board, as well as Chairman of the Global Digital Commerce Group